Goodbye Shubrick

The green fencing has gone up, and The Shubrick building has started to come down. The historic building we all associate with what was Salt Lake’s largest private club, Port O’ Call, on the corner of 400 S and West Temple, is being demolished to make way for the expansion of the Frank E. Moss Federal Courthouse.

When The Shubrick was completed in 1912, the Salt Lake Tribune called it “The most modern apartment hotel thus far constructed in Utah.”

Only a few classic railroad-era hotels remain in Salt Lake: Rio Grande Hotel, Hotel Victor (The Hotel), Garden Hotel (Squatters), New Grand, Broadway Hotel, and the Peery Hotel, which is the only building that remains a functioning hotel.

Photo by Todd McKinley

Comments are closed.